Wednesday 14 January 2015

Spinach and Cheese Bread Pudding

I am the kind of person who love making lists. Everyday at work I start my day by making a to-do list of what needs to be accomplished that day. This is my way to keep me organised and on track with whatever I'm doing. And whenever one task is done, I find great satisfaction at crossing the things on the list. Let me tell you, it is such a great feeling.

Another list that I like to make is the grocery list. I enjoy grocery shopping and I like checking out all the aisles to see what new things they have and what's on offer. But I do need the list to make sure I get the things I need... And of course I often end up with things that aren't on the list in the first place. 

The other day after work, I plan to make a savoury bread pudding for breakfast the next day. The plan was to shop, prep and bake in the morning. I decided on spinach and goat's cheese bread pudding; because I just adore the combination of sweet spinach and salty, tangy goat's cheese.

And so I made a list of things I need to get from the store on my way home. On the list: eggs, milk, bread. That's it. I've got everything else at home.

I got home and discovered there was no goat's cheese to be found. I have Parmesan, cheddar, pepper jack, blue, Gouda... But no goat's cheese! And I don't feel like going back to the store. But anyway, that didn't stop me from making the bread pudding. I could have used any of the other cheeses I have, but I decided to go with creamy Havarti cheese. It is a semi-soft Danish cow's milk cheese and what I love is it melts beautifully. 

The method for this savoury bread pudding is straightforward. Nothing complicated. For ease, I use frozen spinach here which I quickly thawed in the microwave and the important thing is to squeeze as much water out as possible. 

You don't have to wait overnight for the bread to soak in all the cheesy custard, but do give it fifteen minutes or so if you want to eat this straightaway. Serve with a side of greens or tomato salad. 


So, my question of the day, do you like making lists? Does it work for you?

P.S. I know it's really late, but this is the first post this year and happy new year my friends. I wish you and your family a joyful, healthy, prosperous and happiest new year ahead!

Spinach and Cheese Bread Pudding

200 gr frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze as much water out as possible
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and black pepper

4-5 slices white crusty bread
3 medium eggs
200 ml whole milk
200 ml double cream
1 tsp dried mustard
25 gr freshly grated Parmesan
75 gr havarti cheese, cut into small dice
Salt and black pepper

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and dried thyme and cook until soft. I like to sprinkle a little salt to make sure the onions don't burn. Chop the spinach and add to the onions. Add a pinch of ground nutmeg, season with salt and black pepper and give everything a good mix. Remove from heat to cool a little.

Tear the bread and add to the onion and spinach mixture. Give everything a mix again and arrange into a greased ovenproof dish.

In a bowl, whisk in the eggs, milk, cream, dried mustard, the cheeses, salt and black pepper. Pour this into the bread mix and let this soak for few minutes or cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge overnight.

Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 25 minutes or until golden and crusty. Serve straightaway.

5 comments:

  1. I make lists all the time but then I just have a book full of lists!!! This savoury pudding looks amazing. I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not survive without lists ... and it always feel so good when. at the end of the day, each item is crossed off! I 'm liking the look of your easy cheesy bread pudding, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your savoury pudding looks fantastic, Michale. Bet it would be great with some kale too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea to make ahead breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea making a savoury B&B pudding. It's like a cheese souffle really which I just happen to love! :D

    ReplyDelete